Online Dating Pet Peeves - Sensible Stylista

Online Dating Pet Peeves

Alright guys, I know I don't usually blog about my personal life, but I thought it'd be fun to share for a change. As y'all know, I'm a pretty busy person.  I spend most of my time practicing piano, teaching, studying, blah blah blah so I don't have a chance to meet a ton of new people.  Therefore I decided to give online dating a try.

I joined a bunch of different sites (e-harmony, tinder, etc.) but they all kind of sucked.  Now I don't mean to bash 'em because I have friends who've had mad success with them, I'm talkin' marriage-success, but they just weren't for me and that's ok.  OKCupid seemed to suck the least so I stuck with that.

Now don't get me wrong.  There are definitely catches online, but dang, you realllllly gotta sift through to find that diamond in the rough.  And if you're a girl on OKC, you'll get bombarded with messages, which leads me to...

...things guys should NOT be doing on online dating sites. I think I speak on behalf of most girls when I say...

1.  Don't use a shirtless/headless profile pic.  Seriously, even if you have a body of a greek god, you'll look like a douche.  And why are you cropping out your face? Makes us all wonder.

2.  Do NOT send ethnic girls/WoC messages in Korean/Japanese/Chinese/etc. unless you can't speak english.  I know freetranslator.com is tempting but no.  Just don't.  It's actually pretty offensive, and by "pretty" I mean REALLY.

3.  Do not get pissy if we don't write back.  Don't be THAT guy.  If you're gonna badger a girl about visiting - OKC lets you know when someone checks out your profile - and not responding, you're just gonna look like a whiny b*tch.  Move on and let it go - plenty of fish in the sea!

4.  When OKC asks you to list "Six Things I Could Never Do Without", do not list "water" and "air".  WTF...Seriously? Do you think you're being cute? Don't list those as answers because we'll most likely think you're boring, corny and lame.

5.  When you first message us on OKC, use correct spelling so we know you are literate.  Do not write "where r u from" - not hot!  And also while you're at it, learn the difference between your/you're and their/there/they're.  SMH.  If you're not sure, I suggest googling all that STAT... or going back to high school, shieeeet.

I hope you guys got a kick out of today's post!  I'm not normally this betchy, but I thought I'd do something extra fun for you guys today on SS.  Let me know if you enjoyed this, ha!  I'll make sure to share more rants in the future if you did.

Lots of love,
Kim (I promise I'm a nice person, ha)

Have any of you guys tried online dating?  If so, please feel free to share your experiences below!

7 comments

  1. hahahah. I have so many online dating stories! (how did i become that girl?)
    Gents getting pissy and writing angry messages when you don't respond to 'hey' is a classic, and i'm like 'are you even being serious? Do you think this is the beginning of your great love?'
    I don't know if I'm convinced yet by online dating - I know 'everyone' does it now (including me) and there's much less stigma but you have to be ready to trudge through the 45824 duds on there to get to the 4 good ones! (Gee - its hard to write about online dating without sounding like a bitch.)

    I got my first ever hater comment from an online dating post - I thought I was being hilarious - they wished that my whole family die of a slow suffering cancer. They sounded short.
    I think I'm going to take some inspiration from your post and perhaps share a few of my own do or don'ts - I shall link back here of course!
    Thanks Kim!
    Kelsey x
    Kelstagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Omg, I think many of us are secretly "that girl". I feel like a lot of people are ashamed to admit they're into or trying the whole online dating scene.

      I'm glad you liked the post though! Definitely let me know when you post yours! I loveeeee reading online dating stories, lol!

      And WTH? Haters gon hate. That's so ridiculous. I'm sorry about that!

      Delete
  2. Woah, seriously - a goddess like you is single and on OK Cupid?! If only I wasn't on the other side of the Atlantic :(

    I'm always amazed at how unclassy some guys can be on dating sites - but at least makes it a little easier for those of us who (hopefully) aren't total oafs ;)

    Loved the rant - funny and not betchy at all. You always come across like a genuinely nice person who deserves the best... as well as being stunningly gorgeous, intelligent and talented...

    I would compose symphonies and eulogies, all in awe of you.
    Write masterpieces - even doctoral theses - in a studied appreciation of you.

    OK, I'll give up now in case peeves numbers 6 and 7 are guys who write bad raps and ones who use smileys :)

    All the best luck, Kim!

    Nathan x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's very useful for all the single ladies who wanna try online dating. I did online dating through social media (in that time Facebook was kicked off here) and I didn't had such good experiences with that .. Thank God, I met my husband 5 years ago so that chapter is behind me :) Love! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - @nylonlover69 on IG/TwitterJune 20, 2015 at 8:08 AM

    I totally laughed out loud at work!

    If you're bored sometime, have a read here: http://dysfunctionaldatingdiary.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was interesting! You are usually so work oriented that I thought you were a robot. Lol. Nice to see that you are human.
    Keep up the great work Kimberly, but don't forget to have fun too.
    If ever in NY let's have a friendly dinner.
    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete